by First Mate Keira
Title: The Red Pyramid (Kane Chronicles, Book 1)
Author: Rick Riordan
Format: Kindle ebook
Page Count: 528 pages (Hardcover version)
Grade Reading Level: Ages 9-12
Summary: When Carter and Sadie’s father, Dr. Julius Kane, accidentally destroys the Rosetta Stone and sets five Egyptian gods loose their whole life changes as secrets begin to unravel. They almost immediately come into magical powers and have to run from forces of evil. Together they have to learn how to cope, rescue their father, and save the world all with just the help from their uncle, Sadie’s cat, and a few other misfits.
Why I started this book:
I have read the Percy Jackson series by Riordan and was interested in seeing what he did next.
- Riordan combined both worlds – Kane Chronicles and Percy Jackson with a few vague references that tickled me pink. One mention was by Uncle Amos referred to the gods on the other side of Manhattan (he was looking at the Empire State Building when he said it.) The second was by Thoth and referred to Hermes.
- The multicultural aspect: the interracial parents and the siblings looking different from each other with Carter being dark like their father and Sadie being light like their mother. Riordan’s definition of fairness and equality was highlighted by several Kindle users both in its original location and when he echoed it later in the novel.
- The Egyptian god setup was as carefully explained by Riordan as the Greek gods in Percy Jackson. He goes over the two different sets, how they combine, and explained inconsistencies using a well thought out bit of imagination. They are Set, Osiris, Isis, Horus, and Nephthys to name the big five.
- I liked the form of long distance travel – how Egyptian and Egyptian style monuments were turned into places of power and portals.
- Anubis is hot!
- Carter was not as strong a hero as I am used to for a protagonist. It was odd for me to read again and again proof that his younger sister was stronger.
- Sadie is far, far, far too young for Anubis. Twelve and boy crazy? I guess if he’s Justin Bieber.
- Sadie and Carter’s grandparents. Ugh.
Rating: 4 Treasure Chests
[phpbay]red pyramid riordan, 10, 377, “”[/phpbay]Online Stores
- Book Rack Exercise Bikes Cardiovascular Equipment Gym, Workout & Yoga Exercise & Fitness
- Back of Book United States Stamps
- Apparel Jackson, Michael J Rock, Pop Music Memorabilia Entertainment Memorabilia
- Booklets Back of Book United States Stamps
- Easy To Read Rain Gauges Garden Decor Yard, Garden & Outdoor Living