Reviewed by Second Mate Embry
Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Page Count: 374
Grade Reading Level: 6 – 8 Grade.
Summary: Katniss Everdeen’s sister was picked for the Hunger Games. The Hunger Games were established a long time ago when one district of thirteen tried to rebel against the capital. After squashing the rebellion, every year one boy and girl is picked from each district to go and take part in the Hunger Games, which is a battle to the death. Katniss volunteers to take her sister’s place. Will she and the boy from her district survive? Will the other kids?
Why I Started This Book:
My teacher told me about it. She said it was a really good book. All my friends who have had the opportunity to read this book have loved the book. I also like Suzanne Collins as an author. It was a no brainer to pick this book up and read it.
- I like how the Game Makers are in control of the game. They’re there to make sure that the audience is entertained. It reminds me a bit of the Roman Coliseum and the games of the gladiators.
- The weird creatures – mockingjays, tracker jackets (kind of like wasps) with hallucinating venom, and the wolf-human tribute hybrids.
- I like the setup of the story with the districts and the capital and the games. I really love how it’s supposed to be a futuristic society but that it seems so current too.
- Suzanne Collins always ends a chapter with something exciting, gross, or foreshadowing that makes you want to immediately start the next without a moment’s hesitation. She’s really good at keeping your interest in that way.
- One of the themes that Suzanne Collins writes about is war and the cruelty it imposes on children. It bothered me at first that it was kids going into the Hunger Games but the story soon sweeps you away.
- I was disappointed how the book just kind of ended. I was expecting it to continue for a while more and do some more wrap up.
Last Minute Thoughts: I didn’t want to finish the book because I didn’t have book two to start right away, but I did finish it and now I can’t wait to get my hands on the next book, Catching Fire!
Book Rating: 4 Treasure Chests.
|The Hunger Games Bk. 1 by Suzanne Collins (2008, Audio, Other)||9 Bids||US $71.00||4h 25m|
|The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins||US $6.50||17m|
- Wading Toys & Games Pool Fun Pools & Spas Yard, Garden & Outdoor Living
- Joust Toys & Games Pool Fun Pools & Spas Yard, Garden & Outdoor Living
- Postal Cards & Stationery Back of Book United States Stamps
- Frog Toys & Games Pool Fun Pools & Spas Yard, Garden & Outdoor Living
- District of Columbia Patches Police Historical Memorabilia Collectibles