Reviewed by First Mate Keira
Title: Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, Book 2)
Author: Brandon Mull
Page Count: 441 pages
Grade Reading Level: Ages 9-12
Summary: Siblings, Kendra and Seth, wish it was still summer vacation. They miss hanging out at Fablehaven with all of the magical creatures. When a new kid arrives at school, Kendra is the only one that can see he’s not human. What is he and what does he want? Help comes from an unexpected source and sends the duo on another crazy magic-filled adventure.
Why I started this book:
Read the first book and enjoyed it, so decided to continue reading the series.
- Batteries for gold. Makes sense… just remember to ask where the gold comes from first! Satyrs, Doren and Newel, are not to be trusted because they have a naughty streak a mile long.
- Don’t feed the frog statue. No seriously. That is not a joke. Do not feed! (So of course, Seth does…watch out!) Olloch the Glutton is on the loose and he wants to eat you.
- The Knights of Dawn vs Rise of the Evening Star and the battle to keep the demon prison, Zzyzx, closed. Who is good and who is traitor to the cause?
- The kobold at the high school. Creepy. I couldn’t imagine kissing a rotten mouth. Yuck! Beware charming good looks because appearances are not everything.
- The Sphinx. Obviously he is the bad guy. A little too easy to see that considering everyone thinks he’s the good guy.
Rating: 4 Treasure Chests