by First Mate Keira
Title: Relatively Famous
Author: Jessica Park
Format: PDF ebook
Page Count: 284 pages
Grade Reading Level: Grades 6-9
Summary: Dani McKinley is just your normal high school freshman until word leaks out to the press that her father, the guy she’s never known, is none other than B-list actor Mark Ocean. She can hardly believe it, not even after her mother confirms it. Mark Ocean similarly is thrown for a loop; but he’s more than willing to take advantage of it to put some wind under his sagging career and soon invites Dani to spend the summer with him in California. He introduces her to Evan Dodd’s daughters Kayla and Ava in an attempt to get an audition for Dodd’s upcoming film. The girls in turn introduce Dani to Hollywood and what follows is a whirlwind of shopping, boys, and parties.
Why I started this book:
I received a reader copy of the book from the author.
- Mark Ocean – at first he’s this terrible conceited and self-absorbed womanizer, but through the course of the novel he changes and grows up and falls in love… with his daughter and with a normal woman. It was also good to find out that he never knew his ex-college girlfriend got knocked-up and it wasn’t because he hadn’t contacted her when he first moved out to California either.
- Alan – the soon to be step-father is a good guy and a good chef. Very refreshing to find good relationships between a step and the kid.
- Kayla Dodd – she’s not a snooty Hollywood girl. I was worried there would be bad blood and hazing when she was first mentioned, but nothing like that happens in the book much to my relief. She and Dani become good friends and Kayla really pulls through in the end as only the best kind of friend can do.
- Dani’s flip and switch behavior and attitude in the middle of the book. It was expected and so it’s not a really big deal. The only part I really disliked was her actions to drive apart her father and Olivia as she was the one to introduce them to each other in the first place. It was a very childish maneuver.
Last Minute Thoughts: A very cute book with a very Hollywood feel!
Rating: 4.5 Treasure Chests
- California Nut Trees Plants, Seeds & Bulbs Gardening & Plants Yard, Garden & Outdoor Living
- Revenues Back of Book United States Stamps
- Back of Book United States Stamps
- California French Horn Brass Acoustic Musical Instruments
- My Fair Lady Hollywood Barbie & Friends Barbie Dolls Barbie Contemporary (1973-Now) Dolls Dolls & Bears