by Second Mate Embry, guest reviewer
Author: Suzanne Collins
Page Count: 400 pages
Grade Reading Level: Grade 7+
Summary: After Katniss’s survival of the Quarter Quell, she is whisked of to underground (literally and figuratively) District 13. Over the course of the book Katniss is preparing for when she can go fight in the seemingly apocalyptic war and try to kill President Snow. She is constantly going back and forth in her mind between Peeta and Gale.
Why I started this book:
It is the third book in a trilogy. The second book (Catching Fire) has a huge cliffhanger that makes your jaw drop to the floor. I could hardly wait while this was on hold at the public library.
- The almost robotic- like timing and mannerism of the events and people in District 13.
- The mockingjay pin from the mayor’s daughter (in The Hunger Games) comes full circle to being the mascot/face of the rebellion against the capital.
- That Katniss keeps Peeta’s pearl.
- The Capital kept Peeta hostage after the Quarter Quell and poisoned his mind to hate Katniss. During Catching Fire, I thought for sure Katniss was going to end up with Peeta, but with his ‘condition’ it changes the whole Gale- Katniss- Peeta love triangle.
- Like Caroline B. Cooney or Neal Shusterman, every chapter is ended with a twist or mini cliffhanger so it’s impossible to say oh I’m going to read 1 chapter right now. You end up reading almost half the book.
- Prim’s fate. It seems unfair. I would say more, but it would give it away
Last minute thoughts: I have given all of these books 4 and 5 treasure chests. The first one, The Hunger Games, I thought, WOW this book is awesome, nothing can top it…I was right; until I read Catching Fire and I thought the same thing about it…until I read this!
Rating: 5 Treasure Chests
[phpbay]mockingjay suzanne collins, 10, 377, “”[/phpbay]
- Book Statues & Yard Art Garden Decor Yard, Garden & Outdoor Living
- Revenues Back of Book United States Stamps
- Inflateable Toys & Games Pool Fun Pools & Spas Yard, Garden & Outdoor Living Nursery
- Postal Cards & Stationery Back of Book United States Stamps
- Puzzles, Games Coca-Cola Soda Advertising Collectibles