Reviewed by First Mate Keira
Title: Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, Book 3)
Author: Brandon Mull
Page Count: 487 pages
Grade Reading Level: Ages 9-12
Summary: Something terrible is happening at Fablehaven. Light creatures are turning dark but aren’t falling to their lower state. Evil fairies instead of imps, evil satyrs more goat than man, etc. It’s up to Seth to stop it because Kendra is on a mission for the Knights of Dawn to recover an artifact from the preserve in Arizona, The Lost Mesa.
Why I started this book:
I enjoyed the first two books in the series.
- The preserves are very different in terms of terrain and creatures inhabiting the preserve. Fablehaven is more forest and glen, while Lost Mesa is very Painted Desert with zombies.
- Can you trust Vanessa out of the Quiet Box? Maybe.
- Time travel sub-plot and Patton Burgess.
- How the characters get up on the Mesa by climbing the flooding stairs followed by the traps in the Haunted Mesa.
- Kendra’s love interest! Hot new recruit just like her! He speaks to dragons.
- The two divergent storylines alternate back and forth and at times drag a little, dimming overall anticipation and tension as focus shifted. At times the breaks in storytelling were forced. I’d suggest reading several Seth chapters in a row and several Kendra chapters in a row.
- Seth still seems to be making the dubious choices, but I suppose the progress here is that he’s trying to think them through.
Rating: 4 Treasure Chests
|Grip of the Shadow Plague 3 by Brandon Mull (2009, Paperback)||0 Bid||US $4.00||7h 3m|