by First Mate Keira
Title: Geek Charming
Author: Robin Palmer
Page Count: 338
Grade Reading Level: Grades 7-11
Summary: Dylan Schoenfield is the most popular girl in school and is dating the most popular boy. Girls want to be her and who can blame them? She’s got everything… wealth, looks, and the hottest handbag on the market. When she accidentally tosses it into the mall fountain she begs Josh Rosen, a geeky boy from school, to go in and grab it for her. He holds out until she promises to help with his film project… and then in classic Frog Prince fairytale style, Dylan retracts her offer until daddy makes her go through with it. Is disaster looming in the future or will everything turn out all right?
Why I started this book:
I started this book because I read and enjoyed Cindy Ella.
- Dylan has been so wrapped up in being popular that she’s totally removed from reality. Diva doesn’t begin to describe her. She says a lot of thoughtless things which come out very mean but her heart’s good.
- Josh keeps his promise to show Dylan and the popular kids in a fair light. Too bad he accidentally grabs the wrong DVD for the premiere of the documentary.
- That Josh gets with his dream girl, Amy Loubalu, and that Amy is a nice forgiving girl who befriends Dylan again after Dylan’s fall from grace.
- Josh and Dylan’s budding friendship and bonding over Woody Allen and Everything But the Kitchen Sink Specials.
- Dylan’s helpful and kindly meant makeover for Josh taking him from super nerd to geek chic.
- Josh is a hypochondriac who checks out every minor phantom thing out on WebMD and is completely hooked on his inhaler. He turns that inhaler into a security blanket and uses it for stress, embarrassment, and nervousness. Addicted much?
- Josh’s friend Steven is a jerk who turns the popularity documentary into Revenge of the Nerds without thought to the damage it would do.
- Dylan’s friends are hypocrites. Lisa and Hannah both hold Dylan’s shallowness and casual thoughtlessness against her but they are just as bad.
- Dylan’s popular surfer boyfriend is the worst boyfriend ever and Dylan’s self denial about the situation was old before it started.
Rating: 3.5 Treasure Chests
|Geek Charming by Robin Palmer (2009, Paperback)||US $4.00||11d 6h 30m|