by First Mate Keira
Title: Flyte (Septimus Heap, Book 2)
Author: Angie Sage
Page Count: 532 pages
Grade Reading Level: Grades 4-8
Summary: Necromancer DomDaniel was defeated, but not destroyed in Magyk when he drowned and had his bones picked over by Quake Ooze Brownies. In Flyte, he’s back more determined than ever to rule the Castle as the ExtraOrdinary Wizard. He’ll do this by murdering Princess Jenna and current ExtraOrdinary Wizard Marcia Overstrand with some help. When his new apprentice, Simon Heap, kidnaps Jenna for the first part of the plan, it’s up to Septimus to save her, because nobody believes him about what happened.
Why I started this book:
I found Magyk to be super cute and wanted to continue the Septimus Heap series.
- How flyte works and how Septimus always had the final clue to mastering it.
- Speaking of flyte, I like how magic works in the Septimus Heap series. Instead of wands, the wizards use “charms” or enchanted objects. The question then becomes of how many charms are left and are usable, and also how to enchant them in the first place… perhaps the latter is explained in another book.
- I like how Jenna instigates her own rescue and doesn’t let being kidnapped turn her into a damsel in distress.
- Spit Fyre, the dragon that Septimus unknowingly hatches. I love how fast he grows. Think of the complications!
- The underground ice tunnels are very cool. I bet they show up in a future book? I wonder why Marcia wants them sealed.
- I don’t understand why Simon Heap is allowed to escape time and again when good characters, like Zelda Heap, the boatbuilder, Jannit Marten, know him for who he is.
- The creepy doll hotel, run by Nurse Meredith. Yucko.
- What happened to Merrin Meredith? He wasn’t at the back of the book like other minor characters. What happened to him after he joined up with Simon?
Rating: 4 Treasure Chests
[phpbay]flyte angie sage, 10, 377, “”[/phpbay]