by BookWatch, guest reviewer
Title: Fly Girl
Author: Sherri L. Smith
Page Count: 256
Grade Reading Level: Grades 7-9
Summary: Fly Girl is about an African American girl, Ida Mae during World War II who wants to be a pilot and also help the war effort. Her father had already taught her how to fly his crop dusting plane. When she learns about the WASP (Women Airforce Service Program) she decides to join even though they will not accept applicants from her race. She is light skinned and passes as a white girl, which means she has to deny her family identity in order to follow her dreams and serve her country. The biggest enemy she confronts is prejudice.
Why I started this book:
My favorite books are the Newberry Award winners. I have a goal of reading all of them and I have quite a few to go. I read Fly Girl by Sherri L Smith about a year ago. (I don't think this is a Newberry winner.)
- The struggles that she faces and the ultimate questions she must come to terms with make it a very moving book.
- You also learn about the dangerous flights these female pilots flew during the war without receiving any recognition from the government or status as veterans. That has only recently been remedied by congress for the few surviving pilots from this program.
Rating: I give it 5 treasure chests.
|Flygirl - Smith, Sherri L. Brand New!!! ...||0 Bid||US $.99||11h 19m|
- Country, Western Sheet Music Sheet Music & Song Books
- The Biggest Loser Supplements & Diet Exercise & Fitness
- Kirsten American Girl By Brand, Company, Character Dolls Dolls & Bears
- Program Materials, Accessories Weight Management
- 1985-89 Ornaments: by Year Hallmark Decorative Collectible Brands Decorative Collectibles Collectibles