Reviewed by First Mate Keira
Title: Fablehaven (Fablehaven, Book 1)
Author: Brandon Mull
Page Count: 351 pages
Grade Reading Level: Ages 9-12
Summary: When their parents go on a cruise, siblings, Kendra and Seth are forced to stay with their estranged paternal grandparents at their estate Fablehaven. Grandpa and Grandma Sorenson’s place is secluded, pretty, and boring. Relegated to their room in the attic, and given a strict set of rules to follow, the kids can’t believe that there’s no TV or radio to distract them. Eventually they break the rules and all hell breaks loose and their grandfather disappears.
Why I started this book:
Recommended by a librarian if you liked YA fantasy series!
- Their grandmother, the chicken. Haha.
- The satyrs and ogre chase.
- Fairies to imps and imps to fairies.
- The fairy gift bestowed on Kendra.
- Seth is stupid. Granted he’s 11, but this kid won’t listen to anybody or pay attention to any rule. If he wants to do it, he’ll do it. The trouble he gets everyone into is easily avoided if anybody paid attention to him and stopped him. Kid needs a good spanking.
- Also I felt if the Grandpa was more forthcoming instead of making the kids follow unexplained rules the problems that arose would not have happened.
Rating: 4 Treasure Chests