by Captain Lyaf Yarr
Title: Dork Diaries
Author: Rachel Renee Russell
Page Count: 282
Grade Reading Level: Ages 9-12
Summary: Nikki is living a not so perfect life. She has to avoid her embarrassing family and the annoying mean girls at school. She also wants her crush to know that she exists and for not everyone to think of her as a dork. Surviving middle school isn't just a walk in a park for Nikki. Can she survive without dying of embarrassment, win the guy of her dreams, and become popular?
Why I Started the Book:
I got this book when I was at Books-A-Million and browsing through books. When I came across Dork Diaries I read the back and it reminded me on the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series so I thought that I would give it a try and I'm glad I did!
- This book (and the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series) was enjoyable for me to read because I could relate to them. They're both in middle school, aren't very popular, and have problems in and out of school. (Just like any other middle school student.) So it was fun to read.
- I liked reading this book as a diary. I thought it was funny in inside of the book it says: This Diary Belongs to: Nikki J. Maxwell (No Snooping Allowed!!) It made me feel so sneaky!
- This book was written exactly how a middle school girl would write. It's very good in that respect. You will find phrases like: OMG!, I was like JUST GREAT!, etc.
- I liked the character Brandon. He was so sweet and didn't care what anyone thought, said, or who he hung out with. I especially liked when everything was going wrong for Nikki (she woke up late, had to rush to school, and her art project had been crushed under he dad's van) and with perfect timing Brandon comes out with an umbrella to come and comfort her.
- I enjoyed all the illustrations. They were hilarious. They just pulled the book together. I especially liked the drawing of Brianna (Nikki's little sister) admiring Mackenzie's room.
- The ending was all so sudden. Mackenzie went from devil mean to best friends with Nikki (not really best friends but close) I just don't think that something could happen that fast and I wish the author told us how Mackenzie changed her mind and what she was thinking. It would have made more sense and I would have bought it more easily with an explanation.
Last minute thoughts: I really enjoyed this book and plan to pick up the sequels.
Book Rating: I give book 4.5 Treasure Chests!
|Lot of Four Dork Diaries by Rachel Russell, Great Price, Buy Now!||US $24.99||23h 45m|