by Captain Lyaf Yarr
Authors: Deborah Howe, James Howe
Grade Reading Level: Ages 9-12
Summary: Chester the cat and Harold the dog are curious about the new family pet. The Monroes found the bunny at a Dracula movie in a box of dirt. Chester tries to get rid of the bunny, now named Bunnicula by the Monroes, because he’s convinced the bunny is a vampire. He comes to this conclusion based on a book called The Mark of a Vampire. Bunnicula has all the signs – the black and white coloring, the pointy fangs, the ability to turn vegetables white and to escape his cage through miraculous means. It’s a matter of family safety! The bunny has to go!
Why I Started the Book:
Bunnicula was a class assignment in the month of October for a Halloween read. The book was broken into sections. We started by reading one chapter a week and then our teacher read aloud to finish the novel.
- The pictures in the book were cool. I wish there were more of them because the illustrator did a phenomenal job. The bunny is so cute!
- It’s a very humorous story. There are a lot of laughs from silly to clever shenanigans. (e.g. Chester mixes up “stake” and “steak” and attempts to pummel Bunnicula with a steak.)
- (This is not a book dislike.) Don’t watch the twenty minute movie companion to this story! It’s soooo bad! It’s really just awful and the book is so much better!
Last Minute Thoughts: I enjoyed this book a lot and plan to read the sequel, Bunnicula Strikes Again! I think other classes and kids would enjoy this seasonal book a lot!
Book Rating: I give this book 4.5 treasure chests!
|Nighty-nightmare (Bunnicula)||US $8.90||1d 7h 2m|
- Postal Cards & Stationery Back of Book United States Stamps
- Midge & Same-Size Friends Friends & Family Barbie Contemporary (1973-Now) Dolls Dolls & Bears
- Polarized Bifocal Reading Sunglasses for Fishing Clothing, Shoes & Accessories Fishing
- Bunny Tails Ornamental Grasses Plants, Seeds & Bulbs Gardening & Plants Yard, Garden & Outdoor Living
- Family Figurines Precious Moments Decorative Collectible Brands Decorative Collectibles Collectibles