by Cook Cutlery, guest reviewer
Title: Avalon High: Coronation (Volume 1: Merlin’s Prophecy)
Author: Meg Cabot
Illustrator: Jinky Corando
Format: Manga/Comic/Graphic Novel
Page Count: 128 pages
Grade Reading Level: Grade 6+
Summary: Ellie, a regular teenage girl, is going through high school but soon finds out that her perfect boyfriend, Will Wagner, is the reincarnation of King Arthur and that his friend Lance is the reincarnation of Lancelot and his ex-girlfriend Jennifer is Guinevere. Ellie in the beginning doesn’t really believe this to be true until her History teacher Mr. Morton tells her all about it because he is part of the Order of the Bear which is a group of people who strongly believe that Arthur will one day be reincarnated.
Why I started this book:
Because I liked the Disney movie based on Meg Cabot's novel Avalon High. If you have seen the movie Avalon High, but not read the book (or vice versa) I'd like to point out that this graphic novel does differ from the movie. [In the movie Ellie is portrayed as the new girl who is just friends with Will. Whereas in the book she is still the new girl but she is going out with Will.]
- It was very gripping because once I started reading it, it became hard to put down because I wanted to know what was going to happen next. For example when Will disappears and no one knows where he went.
- It was about the Medieval times which I find very interesting... at least how Meg Cabot tells it!
- I also liked how well the drawings were drawn because they showed the expressions of the characters extremely well which really helped me to connect with them. Example: If Ellie was scared you could really see that she was.
- Out of all the characters I liked Ellie the best because she was very caring, and put other people before herself. For example she took Will in when his parents kicked him out due to a fight between him and his father. An example of her putting people before herself is when she got voted on to the homecoming court and really didn’t want to take any part of it. But she saw that all her friends were really excited to see that she got on the ballot so she decided to stay in the running instead of dropping out.
- This book has a lot of adventures and keeps you hanging because you don’t really know what is going to happen next. It also has a little bit of romance in it and some dramatic parts in it because Will’s step brother Marco is reincarnated into Mordrid.
- My least favorite character was Marco because you don’t really know exactly what he is going to do. In one part of the story he tries to kill Will and then later, after he gets out of the mental institute, he says he is perfectly fine, but Ellie knows that he isn’t due to the dreams that she keeps having of him.
- I also didn’t like that once it got really good it said “To be continued” in another book because I really wanted to know what happened next immediately! So I guess, I am just going to have to get the next book in the series in order to find out what happens.
Rating: 4 Treasures Chests
|The Merlin Prophecy Bk. 1 by Meg Cabot (2006, Hardcover)||US $2.00||14h 15m|
- Tweety Warner Bros. Animation Characters Animation Art, Characters Collectibles
- Back of Book United States Stamps
- High Heel Womens Shoes
- Road Runner, Wile E. Coyote Warner Bros. Animation Characters Animation Art, Characters Collectibles
- Walter Lantz/Woody Woodpecker Animation Characters Animation Art, Characters Collectibles