Reviewed by First Mate Keira
Title: Across the Universe (Across the Universe, Book 1)
Author: Beth Revis
Page Count: 416 pages
Grade Reading Level: Ages 14 and up
Summary: Godspeed is a spaceship that was sent into space by a group on earth, hoping to find a new earth planet. Amy joined her parents aboard as frozen cargo, not wanting to grow up without them. The journey is only supposed to take 300 years, so when Amy awakes she thinks they must have landed, but that is not the case. They can’t put her back to sleep without risking that she might never wake up again. That leaves Amy stuck on a spaceship, fifty years from its destination that is slowly spiraling into chaos. This is so not what she signed up for at all. How can she get her life back?
Why I started this book:
I picked this book up to read because it has been floating around the blogosphere for some time now and I’ve seen it on the shelf at the library. After reading and enjoying the Hunger Games I went searching for more books to read that would give me a similar read of dystopia and romance. This book fit the search criteria.
- The alternative view of history by a group of people stuck in outerspace desperately hoping to avoid mutiny. (Still horrifying! Amazing how awful histories can be rewritten to sound like a good thing – but that’s propaganda for you.) Take heart; never trade the illusion of safety for the actuality of freedom.
- The heroine has some guts.
- How the Elder/Eldest is perpetuated. It’s hard to like a hero when you see how he can be warped. It does bring up an interesting issue about personality/character/individuality/soul.
- I can’t believe they are really fifty years from reaching the planet. I really thought they were already there and orbiting around the planet for some reason.
- Oh and the creepy descriptions of getting frozen or waking up from being frozen – and is it me or does the idea of two strangers (middle age men) putting your naked body (teenage female) into a deep sleep seem like a really terrible idea? Where were the female scientists to cover the issues of propriety?
Rating: 3.5 Treasure Chests
|Million Suns: An Across the Universe Novel, Book 2 by Beth Revis NEW||US $20.57||1d 15h 29m|