Reviewed by First Mate Keira
Title: A Million Suns (Across the Universe, Book 2)
Author: Beth Revis
Page Count: 386 pages
Grade Reading Level: Ages 14+
Summary: Overthrowing Eldest seemed like a good decision at the time, but now that the masses are coming out of their drugged sleep, deep distrust and restlessness are overtaking the ship. It is only a short matter of time before mutiny happens, but if they can keep the peace, Amy and Elder might make it to the world they both are desperate to see… but fifty years is a long time and one thing is clear, they don’t have the time to spare.
Why I started this book:
I wasn’t really sold on the first book, and it took reading several book reviews of this one before I decided to pick it up. I was finally swayed by the spoiler that told me my guess for how things really were was accurate. Expect spoilers if you continue.
- Orion’s clue goose chase through Godspeed to figure out what is actually going on. Remember when I said their being 50 years away seemed illogical? That’s because it isn’t the truth.
- Good pacing and ramping up of anticipation throughout the story. It will keep readers focused on the mystery. Can you solve it?
- Amy’s mental dialogue as she debates her feelings. On one hand she really likes Elder but then on the other it’s all – Do I like him because he’s the only guy around my age?
- Elder becoming “distant” as he tries to maintain control of his ship.
- Irrational masses that blame a girl (who looks different) for their troubles. I felt there should be more kernels of actual logic from the group but apparently Phydus brainwashes even after it is out of your system.
- Good guy character death!
Rating: 3 Treasure Chests
|A Million Suns Bk. 2 by Beth Revis (2012, Hardcover)||US $17.71||7h 5m|