by First Mate Keira
Title: The Last Airbender
Director: M. Night Shyamalan
Run Time: 103 Minutes
Summary: Based on the cartoon series Avatar: The Last Airbender, this live-action movie launches viewers into a whole new fantasy world where different civilizations have control over the four elements: fire, earth, air, water. Each culture rules with one type of ‘bending’ – a term used to describe the manipulations they make with their element. The Avatar is the only person capable of bending with all four elements and bridge the divide between the physical and spiritual world. The start of the epic new series reveals that the Avatar has disappeared, abandoning the world, for the last 100 years…that is until a young inexperience waterbender manages to free him from his tomb of ice.
Why I watched this movie:
I have never seen the cartoon series. I knew of it from channel flipping, but I’ve never been a viewer of the original telling. The trailer looked good and I was interested in seeing Jackson Rathbone play a part that wasn’t a vampire.
- Jackson Rathbone was excellent as Sokka. He has the cutest smile and the brightest blue eyes. It was nice seeing him get more than a few lines.
- Nicola Peltz as Katara… she was so cute. I hope to see more of her in the future.
- Noah Ringer who played the Avatar (Aang) is an adorable kid and highly watchable. The pictures of him with hair are just too weird.
- The visual effects were stunning! I really enjoyed them. It’s amazing how realistic things looked.
- A few places were confusing as I didn’t know the background to the story. I heard a lot of fans of the cartoon were upset with the movie and wished for things to be different… most notably that the cartoon series is Asian and there weren’t m/any cast.
Last minute thoughts: When’s the next movie?
Rating: 4 Treasure Chests
- Movie, TV Silver Age (1956-69) Comics Collectibles
- Movie, TV Graphic Novels, TPBs Comics Collectibles
- Walter Lantz Cartoon Character Silver Age (1956-69) Comics Collectibles
- 500-Series Mercedes-Benz Hybrid Vehicles
- Jackson Rakes, Shovels & Hoes Garden Tools & Equipment Gardening & Plants Yard, Garden & Outdoor Living