by First Mate Keira
Title: Easy A
Director: Will Gluck
Run Time: 92 minutes
Summary: Olive Penderghast (Emma Stone) is invisible to the student population of Ojai High until one day a popular Christian leader at the school (Amanda Bynes) overhears Olive tell a fib to her best friend in the girl’s bathroom. Overnight Olive goes from invisible good girl to the most talked about floozy in school. Olive decides she likes the attention and offers to help her gay friend Brandon (Dan Byrd) in order to keep up appearances. Olive will soon learn that there can be too much of a good thing.
Why I watched this movie:
I had to do a The Scarlet Letter presentation when I was in school, which I still have lying around somewhere. It was a silent film reenactment done between me and my two friends. I’m sure it’s hilariously bad. Anyway I wanted to see Easy A because of the high school connection and also because of how cool it looked. Easy A totally blew my school project out of the water… lol
- Who knew the The Scarlet Letter could be so much fun? Easy A, like Clueless, is a modern retelling of a classic novel with a strong young adult teen thread that makes it both educational and hilariously entertaining. I really like the idea of taking classic novels and giving them a modern twist.
- Emma Stone is fabulous in this role. She’s feisty, quirky, funny, and thoroughly entertaining. She’s really coming into her own as an actress. I hope to see much more of her in the future in roles as good as this one.
- Amanda Bynes is a perfectly awful good girl. I love it. Bynes really breaks out of her mold as the good girl sweetly quirky heroine and manages to do it while still portraying a “good girl.” I love it!
- The dialogue, script, storyline, acting, it was all great!
- Brandon (Dan Byrd) was probably my least favorite character. Mostly due to the ridiculously bad sex scene. It’s funny, but Byrd’s acting in it, is just over the top for me.
- I don’t get why telling the teacher about his cheating spouse is a bad thing? Dude – the woman has an STD – that alone should be reason to tell him… not they they were having sex.
- Todd (Penn Badgley) should have had a larger part. He’s slightly too marginalized for my tastes.
Last Minute Thoughts: Other than a few quibbles, Easy A is an A+ movie!
Rating: 5 Treasure Chests
- Olive Plants Vegetables & Fruits Plants, Seeds & Bulbs Gardening & Plants Yard, Garden & Outdoor Living
- Classic Head (1808-14) Large Cents Coins: US Coins & Paper Money
- Classic Wooden Surfboards Surfing Surf Store
- Stone Bridges Garden Structures & Fencing Yard, Garden & Outdoor Living
- School Bus International Harvester Hybrid Cars & Trucks