Reviewed by First Mate Keira
Title: House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, Book 4)
Author: Rick Riordan
Format: Audio Book
Length: 17 hrs and 32 mins
Narrator: Nick Chamian
Grade Reading Level: Ages 12+
Summary: Annabeth and Percy must escape the Underworld (or more precisely Tartarus). Their friends must reach them from the mortal side of the Doors of Death and shut them. Will the two groups meet up? Will they be able to stop Gaea’s forces from escaping death and complete their mission before the Roman Camp rains war on the Greek’s Camp Half-Blood?
Why I started this book:
Read the Percy Jackson series, started this series. Love both!
- Nick Chamian, the narrator. He did a good job. Very entertaining.
- Leo and Calypso. More! I want more! Seriously. Leo was kind of ho-hum to me until this particular development and then woah! Watch out ladies, he’s going to break hearts. I approve and want even more. This ship just jumped far and ahead of Percy and Annabeth.
- Tartus and any time spent in the novel focused on Percy and Annabeth getting the heck out of dodge. Great tension, great build-up, great conclusion. Loved that most of the time hell was described in body parts… I was like, yep, that’s a Titan. Watch where you step. I was right.
- Bob and Small Bob for comic relief.
- Nico has had a crush on Percy. I can’t say I like it (although it is better than Nico crushing Annabeth). He’s the only gay character mentioned outright in the series. I feel bad for him. How necessary is knowing this piece of information? What does it change or will it change going forward?
- Frank becomes praetor when Jason gives it up. Not clear on how I feel about this. Being praetor was a huge part of Jason and now… it’s a huge part of Frank.
- Character development time spent on characters I couldn’t really care all that much about – however it did flesh everybody out and provided motives and hints to future fallout.
- Hazel and Sorcery. It was too much like the Kane Chronicles.
- Gaea didn’t really feature in this book… she was more threat then presence.
Final thoughts: Lots of names, characters, and everything. Good thing I’ve followed the series from the start. NOT A STAND ALONE! You will not understand. And as for book five, let’s go!
Rating: 4 Treasure Chests
[phpbay]house of hades rick riordan, 10, “”, “”[/phpbay]