by First Mate Keira
If you haven’t yet read the Harry Potter Series you should. All 7 books are out. This is their order:
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
These are the companion books to Harry Potter:
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard
- Harry Potter Schoolbooks: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them & Quidditch Through the Ages
If you’re a Harry Potter fan…
You should check out these trilogies and series. There are 42+ books in all! The recommendations are in no particular order.
Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan:
A boy with ADD and dyslexia finds out his handicaps are in fact signs of his powers. He learns that he’s a demigod, son of the Greek god Poseidon, one of the main three gods. Trouble is looming and he’s the only one who can save the world. The first book has been made into a major motion picture. The series in order is:
- Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief
- Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters
- Percy Jackson and the Titan’s Curse
- Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth
- Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian
6. Companion novels: The Demigod Files.
New Series based on Percy Jackson: The Heroes of Olympus is currently comprised of 3 books:
Artemis Fowl Series by Eoin Colfer:
A boy genius is a criminal mastermind and the greatest recent enemy of fairies worldwide. He plans to rebuild his family’s finances by stealing it from “imaginary” beings. The books in order are:
- Artemis Fowl
- The Arctic Incident
- The Eternity Code
- The Opal Deception
- The Lost Colony
- The Time Paradox
- The Atlantis Complex
- The Last Guardian
18. The Artemis Fowl Files is the companion novel to the series.
Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer:
A girl discovers a boy in her class is a vampire and it’s love at first smell… er sight. The series listed in order is:
23. The companion novel for this series is The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner.
Septimus Heap Series by Angie Sage:
A boy soldier finds out he has magical abilities and is considered by one and all to be one of most magical beings around as the 7th son of a 7th son. He’s going to be powerful, very powerful, but until then, he’s got to be trained. The books in order are:
30. The series’ companion novel is The Magykal Papers.
Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins:
A girl volunteers herself as a sacrificial tribute to the Capitol to be placed in the arena in order to save her sister and ends up inciting a rebellion. The books are being made into movies. The Hunger Games, the movie is already released. The trilogy in order is as follows:
His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman:
This trilogy is published for young adults, but like Harry Potter is meant to reach a wider audience. The Golden Compass, the first in the trilogy, has been made into a major motion picture. The trilogy in order is:
The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis:
This series is comprised of seven books. It has been adapted several times over. The latest adaptions have been 3 full length featured motion pictures by Disney on books 2, 4, and 5. The books in reading order are different than their published order. The chronological reading order is as follows:
- The Magician’s Nephew
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
- The Horse and His Boy
- Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia
- The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
- The Silver Chair
- The Last Battle
The Spiderwick Chronicles by Tony Diterlizzi and Holly Black:
This series is wonderful for the younger reader. It is not really aimed toward adults as the books are super short and read like fragments of a larger story. The five books comprising the series have been turned into one major film. In order, they are:
You can then go and read Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles:
The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini:
A young boy finds a dragon egg and hatches it, starting him on an adventure of a lifetime as he is the last of the Dragon Riders. The first book in the series, Eragon, has been turned into a motion picture film.
56. To learn more about the series, check out the companion novel: Eragon’s Guide to Alagaesia.
So there you have it! What books do you recommend?